Source: 2013 Cap numbers for NY Giants - as per Jason Fitzgerald of overthecap.com
- As can be seen, Victor Cruz's cap number is ranked 12th (it was ranked 11th before his new contract was agreed to).
- First round pick Justin Pugh's cap number for 2013 ($1,517,436) ranks him 19th on the team.
- Second round pick Johnathan Hankins ranks 28th on the team's top 51 list of cap numbers with a cap number of $732,852.
- Steve Weatherford's contract would be a good one for the Giants to try and restructure if they need any extra room.
- Weatherford currently ranks 13th cap-wise on the team; he has 4 years, including 2013, left on his deal, so a restructure wouldn't be such a bad idea.
- The Giants could gain as much as an additional $738,750 in extra cap room if they and Weatherford came to an agreement to restructure his deal.
- In exchange for as much $985,000 in upfront bonus money, the Giants would gain $738,750 more in cap room as indicated previously.
- The trade-off would be that Weatherford's cap number would go up an extra $246,250 in each of the remaining 3 years of his deal after 2013 (his contract expires after the 2016 season).
- It'll be interesting to see what happens.
- The Giants' top 2 drafted players whose names appear in black bold & italicized letters in this section--Justin Pugh & Johnathan Hankins--count towards the salary cap while the Top 51 rule is in effect, up until September 5th.
Here are the players who don't currently count against the salary cap on account of the Top 51 Rule being in effect. Once it ceases though, some of these players (the ones who make the final 53-man roster) will count against the team's salary cap:
The only player on the list below whose 2013 cap number I'm not 100% sure about is Ryan D'Imperio. I believe I have his cap number right since to my knowledge he has only 1 year of accrued experience, but on the off chance I'm wrong I'll adjust this figure.
Click on the following link below by Jason Fitzgerald from overthecap.com to see the list of not only most of these players' 2013 cap numbers, but their overall contractual breakdowns as well:
- Ryan Nassib's deal ranks him 59th on the club, but he will eventually count on the team's cap after September 5th, when the Top 51 rules ends and the team's final 53-man roster has been determined.
- All 5 drafted players whose names appear in black bold & italicized letters in this section were drafted.
- They are Damontre' Moore, Ryan Nassib, Cooper Taylor, Eric Herman & Michael Cox.
- All the players whose names appear in light blue are undrafted rookie free agents (UDFAs); they are as follows:
- TE, Chase Clement - ranked 73rd with a cap number of $405,833.
- CB, Charles James - ranked in a 17-way tie for 74th-90th with a cap number of $405,000.
- CB, Junior Mertile - ranked in a 17-way tie for 74th-90th with a cap number of $405,000.
- LB, Etienne Sabino - ranked in a 17-way tie for 74th-90th with a cap number of $405,000.
- S, Alonzo Tweedy - ranked in a 17-way tie for 74th-90th with a cap number of $405,000.
- Keep in mind that if players get hurt that salary splits will factor into the equation.
- Here is how the breakdown would occur: